Add to Technorati Favorites

Alter Egos - I Am Done Watching This

When clicking on an Alter Egos in the sidebar, please look above this title for video content.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Fermenting John Ashbery


Dead Beat finishes off his tea (see A Study in John Ashbery), brings Hudson for a short stroll, then picks up the phone again.

"Do I revise much you ask?" he hears Mr A. enquiring, "Well, when I’ve finished writing I go over and make a few changes, but usually nothing very extensive: I either decide this is not worth bothering with, I’ll write something else; or I just make some minor revisions.Then I put it away and let it sort of ferment for a while, and take it out later, maybe make a few more changes then, but usually not very much.

Now ask me is it true I write all the time."

"Is it true you write all the time, John?"

"No I don’t, it’s not true. I try to set aside maybe one day a week when I’ll try to write something, and I don’t write for very long when I do write, or at any rate I write rapidly, usually."

"I've got to go now John. I have a novel I was thinking of rewriting."

"Is my work oblique, do I hear you say? Funny you should ask..."

No comments: