Add to Technorati Favorites

Alter Egos - I Am Done Watching This

When clicking on an Alter Egos in the sidebar, please look above this title for video content.

Friday, October 06, 2006

The Death of American Poetry - Gary Snyder and Dead Beat Riding Pillion


"Cid, tell me about it. What is the world's perspective on poets and their thing?"

"Dead Beat - you just don't get it - this world has no time for poets"

"Why is that?"

"It's very down-to-earth, like the way I live. I'm out, I love to walk. I don't drive, I've never driven in my life. I've never been on a bicycle in my life. I'm probably the only person in Japan, apart from the maimed, who can't. Obviously I could have done it if I'd wanted to, but I've never learned; I've no desire to be on a bike. I've been on a motorbike, in Paris; and here, Gary Snyder, I've been on his motorcycle, once. He loved to drive fast. Somebody else mentioned it to me recently, that they knew that too. He said that driving fast on a motorcycle was safest. But I was thinking at the time, "Well, this could be the death of two key American poets" [laughs]. But it was all right; I just was not used to it."

Down to earth - Deat Beaters. That's the way your poetry ought to be, both feet on the ground.

No comments: