Add to Technorati Favorites

Alter Egos - I Am Done Watching This

When clicking on an Alter Egos in the sidebar, please look above this title for video content.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Hitchcock - The Secretive World of Character


Dead Beat has his feet up, a cup of Early Gray, a copy of Variety. Then Hitchcock stromps in.

Hitch! I exclaim.

"Don't bother me,": he screams, "One of your characters must be pre-occupied with something during a dialogue scene. Their eyes can then be distracted while the other person doesn't notice. This is a good way to pull the audience into a character's secretive world.

“People don’t always express their inner thoughts to one another," he said "a conversation may be quite trivial, but often the eyes will reveal what a person thinks or needs.” The focus of the scene should never be on what the characters are actually saying. Have something else going on. Resort to dialogue only when it’s impossible to do otherwise."

Calm down, I tell him.

"Calm down, Dead Beat, this is our survival."

"Okay, Hitch, Okay. I get you. I'll pass it on."

Dead Beat is true to his word. By the way, he's absolutely right. Listen and learn.

No comments: