Add to Technorati Favorites

Alter Egos - I Am Done Watching This

When clicking on an Alter Egos in the sidebar, please look above this title for video content.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Fruit's What It's About



So Dead Beat gets a call from Hitchcock (see Hitchcock - The Secretive World of Character).

“What’s all this about D.B.?” he asks. “I wasn’t even with you, and even if I was, I don’t stromp.”

“You said what you said Hitch, you can’t back away from it now.”

“D.B. I said nothing although I have plenty to say.”

“You sounded adamant. Passionate about your movies…”

“Hold on a minute, D.B. did you say movies? I don’t make movies I sing a bit, that‘s all.”

Turns out I got Robyn Hitchcock on the phone, not my old friend Alf.

“Oh well I say, now that you are here, any words of wisdom?”

“Listen to my songs.”

“I do, I do,” I assure him. “But for my avid readers keen to make it in the writing world.”

“This then: The fruit’s what it’s about.“

“Say what?”

“Artists tend to present you with the best side of themselves, and you think, “Wow, there must be more to this! I want to meet the goose that lays the golden eggs! I want to meet the Wizard of Oz! I want to meet the tree that produces this fruit! But actually the fruit’s what it’s about.”

“I don’t always understand your lyrics,” I tell him, “but the fruit I get.”

Okay you heard it from Robert Hitchcock first. Keep the tree out of your work, the fruit’s what it's about.

No comments: