Add to Technorati Favorites

Alter Egos - I Am Done Watching This

When clicking on an Alter Egos in the sidebar, please look above this title for video content.

Monday, March 05, 2007

The Cybernetic Poet


Okay, Ray Kurtzweil, one of the great innovaters of Artificial Intelligence, gets on the phone.

"Is that you, Dead Beat?"
"Who you?"
"Kurtzweil."
"Sorry Kurt before you ask, no I don't have any intelligence to give away, artificial or otherwise."
"We all know that, D.B. It's not that I'm calling about. It's your last post on Creative Computing."

"Yeah, I like that one."

"Just to let you know I already did it."

"Did what?"

"Write a program for computers to write poetry."

"You kidding me?"

"No. The computer reads a selection of poetry and then creates a 'language model' and writes original poems from that model. So far it writes stanzas of poetry. A more difficult problem than writing stanzas of poetry is writing complete poems that make thematic, syntactic, and poetic sense across multiple stanzas, but that's on the way. Computer generated music and art is already well progressed. Oh yeah, Hofs knows what he is talking about. Don't you forget it."

"I don't intend to."

"By the way Dead Beat, you might want to download a free copy. In fact I read your poems...you need to download a free copy."

The Cybernetic Poet

No comments: