Add to Technorati Favorites

Alter Egos - I Am Done Watching This

When clicking on an Alter Egos in the sidebar, please look above this title for video content.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The Unbearable Lightness

Okay, got my Dadaist rant out of my system for a while(see
The Glockenspiel of Hell). Truth is Dead Beat sees a lot more logic in writing than my old Dadaist buddies ever did, but I like the seriousness with which they went about their work even when it was deliberately absurd. In fact ironically there was a great logic to their dismissal of logic.

I just think we sometimes take our act of writing too lightly which at its most extreme form results in people talking about writing as a ‘vocation’ or invoking the ‘Muse’. This may seem a contradiction, but that it is not. To call writing a vocation is superficial and to rely on the ’Muse’ downright foolish. Oh believe me, writing can be a spiritual act but let us not confuse that with the very down to earth process involved. Here’s a revelation: The Muse is a shoddy poet, and writers who are destined to their call frequently mistake first drafts as the final thing.

No comments: