Add to Technorati Favorites

Alter Egos - I Am Done Watching This

When clicking on an Alter Egos in the sidebar, please look above this title for video content.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Arrogance of Writing


Dead Beat mourns the passing of Norman Mailer.


Nevertheless he is reminded how much they have in common.


For a start, Mailer like Dead Beat completed his degree in Engineering. "I studied it for the first couple of years and realized I didn't want to be an engineer and I wasn't going to be a good one. But I stayed on and got my degree in engineering."


See, you could never tell if it was Dead Beat or Mailer speaking here. And what about here:


"You almost can't become a serious professional writer unless there is a built-in arrogance in yourself that you have something special about yourself. It's a vanity, and when the vanity is misplaced, as it usually is, it's sad, if not tragic. But once in a while you're up to your own idea of yourself. "

1 comment:

Jerry's Dallas said...

Sadly, I feel Norman Mailer's life's work was a waste. He fell in love with the publicity and the lights.